Leadership plays a crucial role in the development of an organization. It is one thing for an organization to have great strategic plans and solid organizational resources to achieve its goals; but without effective leadership and team-building skills, there is no catalyst for making things happen. In this course, participants will learn how leaders can effectively lead and build an effective team in difficult situations.
The “Leadership and Team Building in Organizations” course has some of the following key areas of learning organized into the following modules:
•Schedule of Activities
•Dos & Don’ts Rules and Regulations
•Defining the concepts of leadership in the context of leadership and team building
•What is leadership?
•Examples of great world leaders
Models and Theories of leadership
•Maslow’s hierarchy of basic human needs
•Total Quality Management (TQM)
•Transnational leadership theory
•Transformational Leadership theory
•Edward Deming’s 14 Points
Leadership and Followership
•Difference between a manager and a leader
•Understand the organizational structure
•Five dimensions of leadership
•Responsibilities of a leader
•Leadership by example
Basic Leadership Styles
•DISC Profile self-assessment instrument
•Five stages of Team/Group Development
•Building effective high performing and learning teams in organizations and working efficiently as a team
•Learn how to delegate
•The four processes of group formation and development
•SWOT Analysis for describing a project
•Development and raising of new leaders
•Leaders who motivate
•Types of leadership motivation
Committing to Excellence
•Leadership and followership
•Qualities of an effective leader
•Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
•Roles of leadership
•Types of transformative leadership
•Provide adequate support
•Develop subordinates through delegation
•Ability to cope with pressures
•Practicing the critical skills of effective and clear communication
•Leadership from within
•Shadow of a leader
•Principles of change management
•Who Moved My Cheese?
Prioritizing Decision Making process
•Circle of Influence
•Proactive and Reactive
•Participatory, interactive, and concrete instructional methodology
•Incorporating the proven principles of Total Quality Management (TQM) – in an “indigenous African/Asian” development context/environment
Case Studies and Paradigm Shift
•End of course
Upon completion of this course, participants:
1. Will appreciate their management styles through self-assessments as a result of taking a leadership competency assessment instrument- the DISC Problem Solving/Communication Profile; and performing a follow-up practice team exercise prioritizing the 5 Elements of Development Management.
2. Will increase self-knowledge of their leadership and team-building styles through learning and practicing several exercises such as the 5 Dimensions of leadership, Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and how to prioritize decision making for surviving a simulated “Crash Landing on the Moon”.
3. Will become very cognizant of team/group development processes- the 4 Stages of Team Building – and the benefits of collaborative teamwork based on their DISC profile.
4. Will increase their knowledge of the Principles of Change Management and the concepts of Leadership From Within/Shadow of a Leader.
The course is delivered in a workshop setting facilitated by seasoned professional facilitators with practical experience. Active participation is required and the key to the success of the workshops. Other methods used in this course include case studies and problem-solving exercises. Assessment of participant’s performance will be measured through effective class participation, group presentation, group projects, and class attendance. This course combines presentations, lectures, class discussions, group presentations, and problem-solving exercises.
Who should attend?
This course is particularly recommended for senior staff in private, public, and nonprofit sectors including ministers, commissioners, permanent secretaries, secretaries to the governments, top civil servants, business executives, members of the board of directors, managers in nonprofit organizations, managing directors, bankers, heads of departments, senior program officers, leaders of community-based organizations, and any individual interested in the course.
1 & 2 weeks
(a)Stamford, CT, USA
(b)New York, USA
(c)Washington, DC, USA (d) Toronto, Canada (e) Lagos, Nigeria (f) Nairobi, Kenya (g) Dubai, UAE
Jan 6-17, May 18-29; Aug 17-28; Oct 19-30; Dec 14-25, 2022.
Course materials include PowerPoint presentation slides, carefully selected reading materials, exercises, case studies, reading references, and a laptop computer.
The course fee is $3,600 for 1 week – $4,800 for 2 weeks. The course fee covers the following: instruction, course materials, one brand new laptop computer to take home, administration expenses, field trips, cultural programs, and miscellaneous program-related expenses.
How to Register
To receive a letter of invitation and supporting documents, you must complete and forward the registration form to the training director as soon as possible. To participate in this course, the applicant must:
- Send a completed application form
- Have a bachelor’s degree/or have relevant work experience at the senior management level
- Be nominated by the head of his/her department
- Be a senior member of the department/organization
- Demonstrate a devoted interest in the course
- Have proof of English proficiency
- Demonstrate proof of financial sponsorship of the course.
For more information, please contact:
Center for Executive Training and International Development
295 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017, USA
Phone: +917 753 7225, +602 684 3228